Friday, December 24, 2010

When the time comes....

Paul and I had a discussion yesterday about what will happen leading up to and during Benton's birth. As we all know, he is currently deployed and will be unable to return home for the birth.

First off, what if Benton doesn't decide to turn his little butt around and is breech? At my appointment the other day, I asked the doctor about them manually turning him. He explained how they will give me a medication to make my uterus soft. I will be hooked up to machines to monitor how well the baby is tolerating the turning. The worse that could happen, either way, is I will need a c-section. Originally, we didn't want to turn him. If he was going to be breech we were just going to leave him that way. But then we got to talking and thinking about it. Since Paul won't be here, it will be a million times harder for me to care for a newborn alone when I'm unable to move around. I've had surgery before (to remove the teratoma, remember?) and I was out of it for a few days. And if mom and dad are helping me, they'll have even more of a chore that I don't want to burden them with. So we decided, if we need to, we will try to turn Benton to avoid having a c-section. So hopefully the little turd turns!

We also discussed what would happen regarding notifying Paul about labor and delivery. The decision? First off, let me say that I have no way of contacting Paul. I have to wait for him to message me on Yahoo messenger or call me. So...... If I am in labor and Paul happens to call/IM me, cool. We'll let him know what's going on so he can stay on the phone with me or webcam (his commander already okayed it for him to take the time to "be with me" and so did my doctor.) If he doesn't get a hold of me during labor, there will be no attempt made to contact him (i.e. calling Red Cross to send a message). We both know how he will stress out about what's going on, freak out on the doctors, and potentially distract him from a mission he's in the middle of. But no one will know about the birth until he does, even if it takes a week for us to talk to each other.

Yes, that's right. I could be potentially torturing myself, but no one (not even family, friends, or the world of Facebook) will know of the birth and see the baby until Paul does.

So basically, all it boils down do is Paul will contact me. I will make no effort to contact him. That's what we both decided on and think is best. My dad's already got the video camera charging to we can film it.

No comments:

Post a Comment